Welcome!

Hello! These are the musings of a small group of students that have met at the Master's College-an unlikely group of people who developed a fast friendship with one another. so pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile and get to know us!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

MBA, Chick-fil-a, and the end of the world as we know it

It was so weird going to a secular graduation ceremony for a ginormous college after attending TMC's graduation...The college's graduating class, undergraduate and graduate, was about five times the number of TMC graduates. That is, the school's business department! It was really weird, and everyone was disorganized, there were really boring speakers, and it was in all depressing (aren't I positive?). Especially after one guy talked for 20 minutes about self empowerment. But in the end, I was able to watch my sister-in-law walk and get her MBA (Masters of Business Administration), which was totally worth sitting in the sun for four hours.

Afterward we went to Chick-fil-a for lunch, and they gave us all free desert because they found out my sister-in-law had graduated. They said they were thankful that we decided to celebrate there. This was a good move, because it made us like Chick-fil-a all the more! Drinking the cookies 'n cream milkshake brought to mind hiking and random bus trips!

Anyway, all of this leads up to my third point: The end of the world as we know it! As you may have guessed, the rapture did not occur at 3 PM, and someone has been shown to be a false prophet...and we know what the Bible says about that. But still, this was running through my head as I volunteered to help my brother with security at Mariner's Church where he serves, which is a significant size with around 9,000 regular attenders and the second largest in Orange County. Not that I was afraid of the end of the world itself, but rather the crazy kooks who might possibly cause disruptions...All of this caused for a very interesting time of standing in the back of the sanctuary with an ear-piece watching every single person who entered the sanctuary...looking for protest signs, large bags, crazy people, large dogs, small dogs (highly dangerous, especially their owners!), mafia members, dangerous people, creepy people around kids, colorful people (as in clothing), pentecostals, and  sharks. Luckily, all we had was a creepy guy around kids, the entire sermon went well.

But it was odd.

Standing there.

Watching everyone.

Being ready at a moments notice to have to walk up, grab someone, and escort them out. (Or tackle!)

I was reminded of some of the crazy things Dr. John MacArthur has told about security problems at his church, and the serious crazies they had to deal with.
It was interesting, I had to act like I do when I ride, watching everything around me, whether it be snakes (or small dogs!), environmental problems that could go wrong, or any other danger. I think that's a small glimpse of how mothers of small children feel...

No one died, got raptured, or was eaten by a shark. Which was a blessing. But the fear of it was crazy enough...

Which then, folks, brings me to my closing point. I was talking with  someone today, and they mentioned that there was a reason why God told us that there would be no known date for the end, and that reason was so that we would live each day as if it were the end. If I knew for a FACT that today was the end of the world, I should in no way live this day differently than any other day of my life, because every single day should be lived out with that thought and hope. I once heard it said that we should live our daily lives as if the rapture were tomorrow, but plan as if it were coming in a thousand years. This really encourages me to look at my life, to see if each day I live, I live it to the fullest honoring Christ.

"..making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:16

Goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. I would just like to say that Chick-fil-A is always awesome. We do stuff like that on a regular basis! =D

    Congratulations to your sister in law! Business savvy must run in the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo.... not more business majors. You should tell her its not too late, even now, to change over to computer science. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weston! All I could think of when you mentioned tackling someone is . . . "Please don't Koala bear tree them!" Or do, but get it on video for us! You'd probably scare them out of their skin if you did :P

    ReplyDelete