Welcome!

Hello! These are the musings of a small group of students that have met at the Master's College-an unlikely group of people who developed a fast friendship with one another. so pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile and get to know us!

Friday, July 11, 2014

A Very Basic Memorial

So, wow, I’ve been in such a nostalgic mood lately.  Earlier this week, I went back and read through my old skype conversations with some of you from 2010 on.  Some of the jokes I no longer remember (guess you had to be there J).  Some of the silliness I’ve maybe matured from a bit (a good thing, I’m sure).  But every one of those late night, emoticon peppered, tribe-inside-joke-ridden messages was so filled with the brother and sisterly-love that we experienced in Christ during our time at TMC (and beyond). 

Life has been busy…for all of us.  I suppose we all knew it would be.  I’m grateful for the precious friendship I still have with you all.  Every time I get a message from Sarah asking how she can pray for me, or a Skype from Joe reminding me how very “basic” I am, or a word of encouragement from Rhi (who I didn’t even have the privilege of meeting until after I left school), I am overwhelmed by the goodness of our Lord.

He didn’t need to bring “The Tribe” together.  He would still be just as good, just as holy, just as in control of our lives.  But through His sheer love and care, God chose to bring together such an odd and unlikely group of strangers, from all corners of the country, all backgrounds.  In a way, I feel like we grew up together, we matured in the Lord together.  You all challenged me to seek God and serve Him in ways I didn’t even know I had neglected.  You were so patient with me when I sinned, when I rebelled.  We loved each other despite our failings and imperfections.  I see in all of you a picture of what the body of Christ is meant to be, a union of new-in-Christ yet not-yet-glorified sinners seeking to use our varied God-given talents to glorify Him and to selflessly serve one another in love. 

Praise Him that this means of worship does not stop at TMC!  We take it to our homes, our grad schools, our work places, Texas, Alaska, Iowa, Canada, Loma Linda, Northern California, missions, and much more.  We take what we learned during our time at Master’s and use these skills to worship God in our relationships.  Praise God for unions that seek to give him praise.  Brian and Amber, Scott and Rhi…what a joy to celebrate with you all this year, to watch you grow and struggle and give all glory to God in your marriage planning. 

Who could have predicted the extent of God’s faithfulness to each of us as we entered uncertainly into Fall 2010 semester?  I often forget just how purposeful my Lord is in all His plans.  I see myself as being much bigger, much more important, and much more in control than I actually am.  It is humbling to remember that our Lord, He is God; it makes the hearts of His children sing to look upon the memorial of what He has done in their lives, and then to respond in worship. 

I guess that’s what this is: a memorial.  J  That’s what all these little bits of nostalgia are to me.  The password on my now-very-obsolete-and-dying laptop, the autocorrect on my phone, hours worth of silly skype messages, a few plastic black spiders hiding in my closet.  We look back and remember that the Lord has brought us safe thus far and it is only by His grace and providence that He should lead us home.


Love you all.  You are in my prayers.  J

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment